I thought I would build a doll house….. but then I realised it was hard….. so I stole someone else’s plans…. and then I made critical mistakes with the materials I was using…. and it got even harder….. and I was about to give up…. but then I realised it wasn’t so hard after all…….
How hard could it have been right???? Well, after the saga with the plans and finding the lovely Erin’s plans online which look far more achievable for my skills and to do on my own and most importantly to get done by Christmas…… then there was the disaster with the gypsum.The bloody thing couldn’t be screwed together!
I decided last night that I was no doll house maker and I certainly couldn’t make them for a living. In fact, when I had first mentioned to my parents what I was doing… out of my father’s mouth was …
” Where on earth are you going to put it?”
Thanks for the leap of faith there pops!
Out of my mother’s mouth was….
“Why don’t you just use cardboard boxes and stick them together?”
What was wrong with this woman? How could I present Toddler Child with a stack of duct taped cardboard boxes for Christmas? Doesn’t she know anything?
Anyways… their words were ringing in my ears last night as I went to bed.
WHAT was I really thinking when I started this?
I felt flat. It was falling apart.. literally. The nails and screws weren’t holding in the gypsum. The glue wasn’t holding the sides on either ’cause there’s not enough surface area. I was really worried and thought I might have to ditch it. It plagued me all night. How could I make this right??? How could I add more glue? I needed to support the sides onto the base and I couldn’t use a bracket as it would need screwing in. I needed something with glue.
I woke up with renewed enthusiasm… THIS WILL WORK! I was going to add SKIRTING BOARDS!!!!! That way I could glue the sides and the base to the skirting!!!! HURRAH!!!! Added to this, overnight, the glue had worked so I was more enthused to get back to that hardware store ASAP.
Now if you have been following this blog, you will know that the main purpose of building it myself was to save cash….. STRIKE THAT… the main purpose of doing it myself is for MY PLEASURE and so that Toddler Child will have an hierloom to pass onto her children that their Grandmother made way back when. That change of plan suits my purpose so let’s just run with that ’cause the bills are adding up and I don’t even want to look anymore.
About a year and a half ago I was at Middle Child’s School Fair and right at the end of the day everything was being sold cheap. I bought a box of knick knacks for 10p. In the box was a door and two windows. I decided I could make use of them for this and dug them out of the loft. Holes cut, jigsaw blade broken (more money).
I think the house is going to look rather spectacular after all!!!
Middle Child chose some naff paint that was on sale but it actually looks pretty good! I’m quite impressed if I may say so myself!!! I might be a doll house architect, structural engineer and A1 carpenter after all! Toddler Child is starting to notice that it’s not just a hunk of wood so I am going to have to move this into the loft and decorate it in secret. Middle Child and I can’t wait to start wall papering and painting the insides, though I dread the crazy scheme she is going to choose. NEver mind…. she can have this project. Now I know I can do this and I have learned from mistakes made….. for my next project I will be making……
Night folks! Sleep Tight! Got to get to bed and dream of future construction projects! I might be a Doll House property developer after all!!!! xo xo